January 17, 2014

How it all began....

After much thought about how to put Paisley's story into words, I decided that I would first tell you a little bit about me, so that you can appreciate the just how much of a miracle she really is. 

     So I'll start by briefly telling you about some female issues that began when I was a teenager. Since about age 14, I've had female troubles. I always had heavy cycles and severe cramps. At age 15, I was diagnosed with endometriosis and had cysts on my ovaries. I had laparoscopy surgery at 16 or 17. I was told then that getting pregnant may cause problems for me in the future because of all the scarred tissue. Of course, at that time, I didn't care... I was NOT thinking about babies! I was having too much fun being a teenager and living it up with my friends.
 
    Imagine my surprise 8 years later, when I found out I was pregnant with my son, Carter.  I always just assumed that I would need "help" getting pregnant and I sort of threw the idea out of my head. But here I was, 24 years old, pregnant with a healthy baby, in a relationship with the man who I now call my husband, just loving life. It wasn't until 6 months after I had Carter that I noticed something was wrong. I hadn't started my period yet and I finally went to the doctor.  After checking my thyroid levels, I was diagnosed with Hashimotos, (an autoimmune thyroid disease) as well as,  wait for it.... menopause. Yes, I said menopause... at 25 years old!  I was put on thyroid medication and hormones to help ease me through the menopausal symptoms. (hot flashes and night sweats were awful for me)  I was told then that I would never be able to conceive again with out the use of fertility drugs or in vitro fertilization. Even with insurance, both options are incredibly expensive, and at the time, we were so blessed with our son, another baby wasn't on our minds.

     It wasn't until Carter was 2 years old (2011) that I started wanting another baby. Not just a baby, but a baby girl. I just knew in my heart that a baby girl would complete our family. Although I would likely never get pregnant again, Rusty (my husband) and I, had discussed adoption. We figured at least through adoption we could get a girl and not have to go through all the testing and procedures that may or may not work. However, adoption is a also an incredibly expensive option that just wasn't in our budget. So, once again, I put the idea out of my head. (more like out of my mouth....I quit talking about it, but I never stopped thinking and praying about it)

     Fast forward a year later.....Rusty and I got married in May 2012. Carter was getting so big, so fast and we loved everything about being his mommy and daddy. And we were in a happy state of newly wedded bliss! Life as we knew it, couldn't get any better. Unless, of course, we were too miraculously become pregnant with a baby girl. But miracles are only for special people, with beautiful lives that seem to good to be true... right?  I mean, that's what it seems like when you read stories about miracles. You just always think, "Oh, that would never happen to me", or "I'd never be so lucky." Well, take it from me, Miracles, do happen, and they can happen to anyone, even people with ordinary lives, like me. It was the second week of August, I wasn't feeling myself and I was late. I really didn't think much of it since I was notoriously irregular anyhow. I remember joking with my friend Valerie, on our way to a baby shower, "I either have the worst case of pms ever or I am pregnant." Followed by "hahahaha, yea right, I cant get pregnant." The next day, (August 12, 2012 to be exact ) just to clear my conscious and rule out the prego theory, I took a test.....and it was negat.....no wait, that's another blue line.....WHAT, I'm pregnant, for real???  HOW? Oh forget it, I didn't even care...I was pregnant....and soooo incredibly happy!!!
And this is where Paisley's story begins. I will post her story on a separate post,

No comments:

Post a Comment